Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I am Chinese.

I am Chinese.  
我是华人。
wo shi hua ren

Growing up as a child... This sentence was probably the most embarrassing sentence ever.
As a kid, I never really wanted to be Chinese. I had always wanted to be one of those kids, a brunette or a blonde, with blue eyes. Wow, what was I thinking. -.- So anyway...

If you may or may not know (if you don't, post Shut Glutton talks about it) by now, I had spent 2 days in Birmingham with a high school friend and a skating friend :) I had quite a lot of fun. I met so many people and felt absolutely welcome and loved by these lovely people.

In the previous post, I talked about how I cooked for 12 people. These were the people I cooked for...


Kay, seriously, they're SOOO nice.

Those who lived in that house helped me prepare the meal. 
My friend (the one in purple), Jia Joon bought all the raw materials,
and helped me chop garlic even though he said he hates chopping garlic
Okay, seriously. Super nice.

Then, when these people came, I was still stirring the food. 
 I was working on my 2nd dish and was half way there. 
Most if not all of them offered to help me
Then I offered the position of a stirrer and immediately they lent me a hand.
On the 3rd dish, I told them to start without me as I was almost done 
but they refused and made sure everyone was at the table before digging in. 

Looking back, I seriously DO NOT know WHYYY I did not like to associate myself as Chinese. I don't know why I hated wanting to be Chinese so bad. As some of you may or may not know... I went to Chinese school (primary school/ elemantary school) without knowing a single word of chinese. All I knew how to write was the word "swim" in Chinese. Random fact yay! haha. And I HATED my parents for it (sorry mom and dad, you already know this though). I mean, 7 year old kid, lost, confused, (bringing back weekly school update things that I needed to translate for my mom and most of it I'm just like "whatthefuuuuuuuck") but today, I cannot thank my parents enough for making me go to Chinese school. It has definitely helped me in SO many ways unimaginable and most importantly it's allowed me to meet and communicate with amazing people like those in the photo. Seriously. 


Anyway, back to these amazing people. 
I spent well, technically 2 nights with them and they've completely made me feel so at home.
Either way, I miss them already and well, this post is dedicated to them :)
&
All the great people I met :)

Side thank you: Jia-Joon for letting me crash at your place and for taking such good care of me! Seriously :)






Love love




No comments:

Post a Comment