Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Butt Hurt Tuesday

Of late, there's just so much stuff going on with rights, privilege, terrorism, religion, and politics.

And while so many things are still left unspoken on these issues, one thing that seems consistent is the fact that everyone seems to be butt hurt about something. Everyone gets ultra sensitive over things and get over-defensive. Don't get me wrong, I get it. You're standing up for someone who did you wrong. That's great.

But sometimes, I think it may be a good idea to actually be able to differentiate those who are sincere, and those who are out to harm/hurt you. As individuals, we're kinda getting really worked up over things that we merely turn our gazes away from those who really want to help.

No name calling, no venting, because I'm also guilty of it all. Every experience that is spoken about here, I shall be the first to admit that I too have done it all. That's why it's with all hope that I share it with you that being angry all the time has never gotten me anywhere beneficial.

Not sure why, but every time I fly, I'm always seated next to some creep who seems to conveniently spill his arms over on my side of the seat and leaves me feeling really helpless and in dire need to have a seat change. I remember once telling someone about this and in response, I was told to always ask for a change of seats, and if I sounded a little more mad/upset, I'd never know, I might get an upgrade, aka Business Class? Not sure.
But anyway, while this did strike a bell within, it also was a little uncalled for. As the flight attendant I would be speaking to would be getting the not-so-pleasant end of my feelings and would in turn feel a little uncomfortable. You might be saying "well, pssh, they get the runt end of the bud pretty often, this is nothing" but let's be real here. Imagine you're the flight attendant, you've had a long day of work (flying to and from the same goddamn country for the upteenth time, having to do your job in the highest honorific manners -assuming you're not allowed to talk back-) and you've already had a handful of flyers who still think "the customer's ALWAYS right" and has spoken to you in a commanding manner.
To have another person kinda add to that doesn't make you any happier, does it?

Take for example, you've made plans to meet your friends at a restaurant. You're the first to get there and you've placed your food and beverage orders in. You request for your food to arrive together when the rest of the party comes and put in their orders, but our beverage can come first. So it does. But in a series of speed events, your friends all arrive at the same time and order basically the same thing as you and claims the same meal as theirs first. Then you get upset and ask where your order went, and you ask for it in a condescending way, all angry and demanding.
If I were the owner of the place, I'd kick your ass to the curb and tell you that I'd rather have you not come to the restaurant, then to have rude customers.
Business is still business you say? By golly, no wonder the world is filled with entitled people.
But again, as always, I digress.

If I were the waiter, and let's just say that I've already been in a poor position in life, and was considering not so positive things, this would be the easy push I'd add to my struggles.

Why is it that we all tend to forget the most fundamental: we're all humans, and while a huge sum of this earth's population is by contemporary definition: a fucking asshole, there are still those who are sincere about helping/contributing to your happiness.
But it seems to me that it's so difficult for all of us to take a step back and be like, hey, this person is being sincere. I know, you've trusted someone and they've ended up hurting you. Well, bud, can't say I don't understand. But we're in the same boat, really. So maybe, ease it up a bit. Be defensive when necessary, but being overly vulgar/violent about your stance will only lead to more detriment.

Remember the flight attendant or the feeling you've gotten when you've been accused of something you're not/didn't do. That should give you a good idea about things.






No comments:

Post a Comment