Monday, April 25, 2016

Small Victories

My parents once told me that when I was learning how to write, I started out as a lefty and then some how somewhere along the lines I became a righty. It's pretty interesting because one of the early memories I had as a child was my hands having personas. And my right hand felt really annoyed and tired because it had to write and practically do everything.

So since I was a senior in college, I had started getting into the groove of using my left hand, starting with drawing class. But it wasn't till 2 years ago, when I was dating this lefty that I really wanted to be able to write with my left hand.
So for about... a year now (after seeing my ambidextrous colleague write cursive with her left hand and then also do so naturally with her right hand), I've been training my left hand in an effort to be ambidextrous. So far, one thing that feels like second nature now is actually brushing my teeth. I've also gotten good with doing the dishes and needs more work on buttoning with only my left hand but on and off, I would also write with my left hand. Usually the words would be the size of a dinosaur egg that looks like a toddler's handwriting. But today, I wrote a full paragraph of my essay with my left hand. It's still a bit of a struggle but I've managed to reduce my words to a decent size, and at a speed the Kim last year would be really envious of.

It definitely still leave much more to be desired but I am really happy with the improvement I've made so far.





No comments:

Post a Comment