Saturday, January 12, 2013

Clean. 干净。Bersih.

"Anda semua berhimpun di sini kerana anda cintai negara ini" 
translation: "you're all gathered here because you love this country"

Today was the 4th Bersih rally. I decided it was high time I participated in fighting for the democracy of a country that I love with all my heart. I think I've told this to many when it came to discussions about my country: I love it but I hate the politics of it. It's the only thing pulling my country down.
In previous years, there has been immense violence at these rallies:
The first one included arrests of many foreigners who took part in the rally. That by the way were all planned to be peaceful and without intention of harm.
In the second one, they brought in the big guns (as in the government). Police forces barraged the rally (that was again meant to be peaceful) with tear gas and water cannons which even resulted in death and  lots of blood 
The third one, held last year, was a huge one which rendered huge crowds locally and internationally. It was also rather dirty where those who were supposed to be keeping and eye out for insanity and violence, were in fact, the ones causing violence. 
This year, it seemed a lot more peaceful. There were speeches in the stadium where the first yells of independence were heard. No violence of any sort from what I could see and where I was. Plus it was tremendously heartwarming to see the crowds filled with individuals of every race and religion standing, sitting and body waving, united in the same place to fight for the same cause. 
[It was also my first ever rally of any sort which was also an adventure for us- mom and I]


Unfortunately for me, while all this was awesome to be a part of, elections will be held in March which kinda sucks cause apparently one is unable to vote abroad. This saddens me a whole lot but eitherway, I hope this serves a purpose with a positive ending. No violence, with an improvement in politics & policy making.








On a whole new spectrum of the day, I managed to squeeze in some good quality time with some old old friends who I've not seen in... well, a long long time. It was really nice catching up with them doing

lipstick testing and window shopping



Later in the night, my family also visited an old dessert shop with some family friends and mind you, my family has visited this shop since my brother and I were really little. And I want to share this because of this one lady who works there. We've known her since our first ever visit to that shop. It may not sound very special but to the kids who'd gotten extra longan in their desserts without the extra charge and the warm welcomes, she's pretty amazing. Since we used to frequent that place, we've bonded pretty well. So, in the moment of being there altogether in the shop (as a family), I decided it best that my brother and I took a picture with her for keeps sake. Unfortunately, we never took a picture with her when we were younger so no comparison. 

she always exclaims at how much we've grown since she last saw us. 
I don't blame her.. I mean, our visits have lessened as the years increased.
We always still look for her when we get there though. 
It's possibly the best part of the visit, really.




All in all, I shall say that today was a success. 
Awesome. I've been needing one of those lately. No sarcasm.




Till next time.




xoxo,
your Chili Padi lover 





No comments:

Post a Comment