Thursday, December 8, 2011

Genetics.

I think it is great that everyone is such huge supporters of cancer awareness.
Cancer is one of the biggest killers of all time besides aids and heart attacks.



I remember the one time we talked about cancer in school.
My teacher told us that we all have cancer cells and its only whether they go bad or not.

If you ask me, I have to say that cancer has been a part of my life even before I was born.

Here's why..
My biological grandmother (paternal), had passed away with cancer in her 50s. I never really got a full explanation but this is what I know.
My aunt, who my biological grandmother gave birth to, also had her life taken by cancer when she was either 15 or 16. Yeah, she died pretty young.
My oldest aunt (also from biological grandmother) had suffered from nose cancer but has since made full recovery (something I'm so thankful for)
3 years ago, my grandfather (also paternal) passed away from pancreatic cancer.

Some genetics I have, huh?

So, if you know someone who has died of cancer, or who is suffering from cancer, do spread cancer awareness in their name :) But do it cause you wanna, not cause people are telling you to. Ladies! Do your breast check after your aunt pays you a visit! Click HERE if you don't know how. Men, check your man sacks too. Click HERE if you're like me, clueless as to HOW to check it.

Just to clear the air, the reason I wrote this post is not to get sympathy or anything. It is merely to talk about how unpredictably short life is. I know, I know, I bet you've heard this like a SHIT TONS of times. Yeah yeah whatever. But seriously, 2 days ago, while I was pulling my hairs with the whole exam + paper dilemma, my friend's cousin's husband had passed. Earlier, her cousin had been diagnosed with cancer and then followed by the family loss. Not to mention the fact that the son had to bury his dad on his BIRTHDAY and the dad was only 56. Plus, (those of you at Soka would know this lady who works at the cafeteria who everyone complains about) a religious member of my district was diagnosed with cancer. She had grade 4 (severe) tumors in her spine which had spread to her lungs, liver, head and sinus. They're multiple ones in some areas too. Also, in the summer, a good friend of mine had a friend whose dad passed away as well. He was a healthy man. Eating healthy, exercising and everything until one day just had a heart attack and passed away on the spot. Life is just so unpredictable like that. We all need to appreciate everyone around us. Especially our parents. If you're like me, half the globe away from your family, make an effort to communicate with them and keep them updated with your life! Do something to show them you love them, even if its just a simple email or a simple i love you message. Do it. It shows them how much you care and just those 3 words are enough to make them happy. If you're at home or are in close proximity to them, take some time off your busy schedule and go to them and hang out with them. If you're busy, drop a phone call. Skype them. Leave them a Facebook message (if you've a dad/mom like my dad who checks it) telling them how much you love them :)

Seriously, I cannot stress how important it is be appreciative of everyone around you. To those who you do not get along with, just be civil with them. No need to start unnecessary fights or arguments even if you don't like them. Those who you hang out with, tell them you care, those you're not close to, get to know them, be nice to them, everyone has their struggles. You do too and by caring, it gets reciprocated. Haven't told someone you love them or you really care about them? It's never too late :) Compliment someone with sincerity. Not just for the sake of it. Actually mean it when you say it. :) It'll make someone's day.

I know this is like a super long post. I really didn't intend for it to happen. But I hope this kinda made you wanna go out and be nice to everyone (or as many people as you can). Smile through your struggles. Help through your struggles. Share, watch, learn, grow and keep growing. Love like no tomorrow for you never know what can happen and you never got to share the love. This has been going around but I'll say it anyway "it's better to look back and say 'oh well' than to say 'I wish...' or 'if I had..' "


Love love

No comments:

Post a Comment