Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What They'd Give for You to Live


Yet another before I once again face the computer screen of words.
This is an ad for bank branches. But it is truly touching..

Here is the translation for those of you who can't read or understand Chinese:

When you can't not leave (when you have to go)
what can you leave behind?
Little Sister (some Chinese families nickname their daughters differently depending on order they were born)
I've played hide and seek with you so many times..
You have always managed to find me so quickly..
But this time, I've decided to hide for a very very long time
Don't hurry in trying to find me, wait another 10 years and ask mom where I've been hiding all this time, okay?
I know that you'll miss me because I'll be hiding for so long
So, when you start missing me, I will magically appear...
When you're asleep, I will appear in your dreams and play games with you
When you look at a picture of me, I'll be sneaking a peek at you too
You must remember, I'm always with you..
Watching you grow and make sure you eat your vegetables
However, I have a request from you
Please look after mom well. I wanna see if you can do better than me.
I thought, since we're going to play hide and seek for such a long time...
Mom won't be able to see me sometimes, and will weep in silence
Weeping in silence means breaking the rules, that means you'd have lost the game..
That's why you need to make her happy every time she cries. (in essence, make her happy)
Because if you do lose, she'd cry even more 
The games about to start... You must remember that I love you very much
I'm not leaving, I'm merely hiding. Hiding at home, 
Are you ready...? The game has started...


"Dad never left, his love forever remained"

Ten years later...

Dad, I found you! In the reading room, before I leave the house, in photos, and in the memories of my childhood.
I found you in mom's thoughts, in me. 
Dad, no matter where you hide, I know, you're hiding in me and mom's memories and in every corner of the house.
Dad, do you know, every time mom breaks the rules, I always try so hard to make her smile.
Dad, you're really great, your magic has made me stronger
I got into high school this year. My results are not bad and mom has started learning English at night!
Dad, you've never left. Because your love has always been here.
Dad, I REALLY miss you.
The game's over. I've won. Can I cry now..?



This was what I needed to get my crying out of the way before I continue on my work. Now I've cried, translated and shared this with you. I hope you liked it.
This is dedicated to all the parents out there.
I've never really knew how to appreciate my parents until I had gone to college. Being so far away from my parents, it's made me appreciate so much more, the things that they do.
Say I love you to your parents. These are the words they want to hear from you more than anything else in this world...



No comments:

Post a Comment